Sunday, June 14, 2009

"Ghost" Tv Shows

There are a few tv shows out there that are dedicated to exploring the paranormal. Most of these shows follow teams of paranormal investigators as they explore some of the most haunted places in the United States. I've decided to talk about a few of these shows today, and give you my opinion on them.

First off, probably the most "well known" of these shows is Sci-Fi's "Ghost Hunters". The team on this show, from what I've seen, really just walk around and hope for something to happen. They spend most of their time trying to debunk what they've found or what people have said happen in the place of the haunting. I think I dislike this show for that very reason. There's no fun in that. Sure, that noise you heard could very well be the old pipes creaking, or the ground settling, but..what if it's NOT? I know there are a lot of people out there who love and respect this show, but honestly, it's boring and no fun for me.

This next one is quite the opposite. The Travel Channel's "Most Haunted" is another of the "ghost" shows I refuse to watch, because the team over-reacts SO much that you can't even understand what they're saying, or what's going on. That being said, I really don't have much to say about this one, because I couldn't bring myself to watch more than one episode.

Next, we have A&E's "Paranormal State". I personally haven't ever watched this show, but some members of my family swear it is the "scariest thing they have ever seen". Judging from the commercials, it looks like another show I just wouldn't be interested in. I don't like when people take their "jobs" too seriously.

Finally, I would like to introduce you to The Travel Channel's "Ghost Adventures". This show is personally my favorite, for a few different reasons. It's three people. Three. As opposed to.. a whole entire team. They get locked down in the locations over night, and are not able to get out until someone lets them out (or until they jump out a third story window...) Another thing I really like about this particular show is that these guys provoke whatever malicious spirits might be inside with them. They don't try to debunk anything. It's basically a "We went here, saw this, recorded this, and here is your proof. Take it however you'd like"- and that, I like. Lastly, this show is just plain entertaining. You'd think with three grown men, one of them who looks like he could break someone in half without any effort, they'd be pretty tough. Wrong. These guys get SCARED. And when they get scared, they scream like little girls. If nothing else, watch it for a laugh.

In closing, I would like to say that yes, I realize these are all television shows, and so should you. Anything that is on tv can't be 100% real. There are ratings, views, and other things that have to be taken into account when the shows are being made. I'm sure there is some sort of fakery going on in every single one of these shows, but I'd still say go with Ghost Adventures. It seems the most raw. And, as I said, it's hands down the most entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment